Friday, October 31, 2014

You can't outrun your genes

It was a very tough Dr visit.  I had never been to an Endocrinologist until yesterday morning.  I am alternating between thinking about all that he said and ignoring that I ever went.

The statement which made me shake and fight tears was his matter of fact "You do not have diabetes now, but with your family history and your lab numbers you will."

I kept it together in his office but when I called my mom on my way to the van I couldn't even get the words out as I was crying.

I saw him 3 days before he passed away.  A frail, sick man who looked nothing like the robust full of energy man I had known 20 years before.  That man was my father who died at the age of 61 due to complications of Diabetes/Kidneys/health.

You can't outrun your genes.  It just isn't possible and lucky for me I won my Fathers health genes in the genes lottery.  :(

I am not ok.  I thought I was until this article on Plus Size Runners came across my FB Newsfeed.  There I read great statements which I felt this past year of becoming a runner.  Then this one:

“No matter how many lifestyle changes you make, they might never be radical enough to overcome your genetic predisposition,” he says. “But that should never be an excuse. You can still make significant improvements through nutrition and exercise, but they might not lead to as dramatic results as you’d hoped.”


It is true - you can't outrun your genes.  I have some awesome genes.  I am blessed to be a people person, able to bake, do math, grow tall, love animals, read extremely fast with comprehension, enjoy technology, and so very much more.

I will continue to run.  In fact the Dr pretty much said if I don't I will be signing my early death certificate.  So now I will run and I will run like Death is at my heels.  I will run as though seeing my babies graduate rests on each step.  I will run.

I will run and I will not look back.

You can't outrun your genes but I have another generation to educate and grow and inform so they will have more options than I do.

I will run and I will declare my love with each footstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment